The Latvian Bookseller Association is a public organization, which unites businesses dealing with sales of books, other printed issues and office supplies. It was founded in April 1993 and unites big, medium and small size enterprises. Among the members of the Latvian Booksellers Association are representatives of all regions of the country.
The main aim of the association is to promote the development of bookselling and improve professionalism of bookstore employees. The main objectives and tasks of organization are:
• to protect professional interests of booksellers
• to represent interests of booksellers in relations with state, governmental, municipal institutions, official representatives of publishers, libraries and other bodies of the book sector
• to negotiate with state governing institutions on possibilities to reduce value added tax on books sold in Latvia
• to improve professional skills and acquirements of booksellers organizing different type of training courses
• to collect and spread out information important for the specialists of bookselling
• to promote book reading habits, especially among young generation